The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member marcius
N 59° 19.440 E 018° 04.300
34V E 333378 N 6579793
Tyska kyrkan, sometimes called St. Gertrude's Church, is a church in Gamla stan, the old town in central Stockholm.
Waymark Code: WMME2H
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Date Posted: 09/07/2014
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 23


HISTORY

Located between the streets Tyska Brinken, Kindstugatan, Svartmangatan, and Prästgatan, it is named for standing in the centre of a neighbourhood that in the Middle Ages was dominated by Germans. Officially named Sankta Gertrud, the church is dedicated to Saint Gertrude (626-659), abbess of the Benedictine monastery of Nivelles, in present-day Belgium, and patron saint of travellers.

The German guild of St. Gertrude was founded on the location for the present church in the 14th century. While the guild was created by German merchants, their Swedish counterparts were often invited to take part in its activities. For example, King Charles VIII was elected in the guild's building in 1448. The headquarters of the guild was gradually rebuilt into a church starting in the 1580s. Among the architects involved were Wilhelm Boy, the Flemish architect of King Eric III, the Walloon Hubert de Besche and also Hans Jacob Kristler, the architect from Strasbourg who designed the Makalös Palace in present day Kungsträdgården for Jacob de la Gardie.

Though there was an abundant number of German merchants and craftsmen in Stockholm during the Middle Ages, they didn't possess a separate site for their religious sermons until 1558 when King Gustav Vasa permitted them to hold separate sermons. In 1571, King John III authorized the German expatriates in the city to form a separate parish, including summoning priests from Germany, and it thus became the first German ecclesiastical parish outside Germany, It first held its sermons in the Greyfriars monastery on Riddarholmen (today Riddarholmskyrkan) but within five years relocated to the building of the German guild where the king earlier had a chapel built for the Finnish parish. The two parishes shared the space, with the Germans managing the maintenance of the chapel and also inaugurating a German school in 1580, soon relocated to Tyska Skolgränd and still in existence until 1888.

In 1607, however, King Charles IX transferred the premises exclusively to the Germans. Hans Jakob Kristler enlarged the chapel in 1638-1642 to the present two-nave church. During the 17th century, while the choir of the school participated at the royal concerts, the church became an important centre for church music in Sweden. A crypt, construction on which was started in 1716 but was interrupted 1860-1992, is still in use by the parish. By 1800, the German congregation had dwindled to a mere 113 people, and in 1878 a fire destroyed the tower. Today the German parish sorts under the Church of Sweden but as a so-called non-territorial parish, the approximately 2,000 members of which are found all around Stockholm. Sermons in German are still held every Sunday at 11 am, and the church is open daily during summers and at weekends during winter.

EXTERIOR

The brick steeple and the copper covered spire, together 86 metres tall, where completed in 1878 to the design of Julius Carl Raschdorff (1823–1914), an architect based in Berlin. For the commission he chose Neogothic gargoyles featuring grotesque animals, indeed unusual in Swedish architectural history but today recognized as 'natural features' of the old town. The elaborate carillon is heard over the old city four times daily: 8 am and 4 pm psalm Nun danket alle Gott is played, and at noon and 8 pm the psalm Praise the Lord.

Over the northern gate facing Tyska Brinken is a gilded images of the patron saint and the exhortation Fürchtet Gott! Ehret den König! — "Fear God! Honour the King!". Flanking the eastern gate facing Svartmangatan are two tables carrying gilded inscriptions. The southern sandstone portal is flanked by statues of Jesus and Moses, in the context symbolizing the New and the Old Testaments, accompanied by Love, Hope, and Faith. The statues were cut by Jost Henne from Westphalia in the 1640s; he later became the alderman of the city's masons guild

INTERIOR

The interior is Baroque in style, the large windows of which make it overflowed by light, highlighting the white vaults and their many angels heads. The wine cellars of the original guild building are still found under the current marble floor. In the atrium is a window featuring St. Gertrude herself holding a chalice in one hand and a model of the church in the other. The ten metres tall altar was created by Markus Hebel, a Baroque master from Neumünster, Schleswig-Holstein.

The so-called "king's gallery" crowned by the monogram of King Charles XI was designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Elder. The green and golden structure, at the time resting on pillars seemingly suspended over the floor, was reached by a magnificently carved flight of stairs used by generations of royal families, often of German descent, attending the sermons. The ceiling displays a painting by David Klöcker Ehrenstrahl, born in Hamburg and a member of the German parish. The lower part of the gallery was later glazed and today contains the sacristy. The painted windows are all from the turn of the century 1900. The southern windows, arguably, retell the benefits of living a devoted life. By the entrance is a commemorative plate reminding of the restaurateur Peter Hinrich Fuhrman (-1773), one of the church's most important donors.

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1642

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Protestant

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: From: 10:30 AM To: 4:30 PM

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Friday

Street address of Church:
Svartmangatan 16
Stockholm, Sweden
111 29


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CADS11 visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 12/10/2022 CADS11 visited it
maripe visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 12/12/2019 maripe visited it
Aldokyl visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 10/13/2019 Aldokyl visited it
ismo485 visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 07/07/2019 ismo485 visited it
raija485 visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 07/07/2019 raija485 visited it
Ibisi visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 01/18/2019 Ibisi visited it
Lin57 visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 01/18/2019 Lin57 visited it
aendgraend visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 08/30/2018 aendgraend visited it
Nathalain visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 07/19/2016 Nathalain visited it
spårsyskonen visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 05/01/2015 spårsyskonen visited it
åda visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 10/30/2014 åda visited it
hensmehens visited The German Church - Stockholm, Sweden 10/03/2014 hensmehens visited it

View all visits/logs