Santuario del Ss. Crocefisso del Cestello - Bologna, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member razalas
N 44° 29.275 E 011° 20.716
32T E 686482 N 4928742
This old Roman Catholic church was rebuilt in 1762.
Waymark Code: WMKYT9
Location: Emilia–Romagna, Italy
Date Posted: 06/17/2014
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 3

Placed on the right side of the main door there is a plaque that reads:

Eretto nel 1516 dalla confraternita del Crocefisso, che venerava un'immagine dipinta sulle mura della città nel XV secolo (ora sull'altare maggiore), fu ricostruito nel 1762. L'interno costituisce un perfetto esempio di decorazione settecentesca con ornati di Antonio Gamberini (1782-88), stucchi di Luigi Acquisti e affreschi di Flaminio Minozzi. In sacrestia si trova l'Addolorata dello scultore Angelo G. Piò (1730).

Erected in 1516 by the Brotherhood of the Crucified, who worshiped an image painted on the walls of the city in the fifteenth century (now the main altar), it was rebuilt in 1762. The interior is a perfect example of eighteenth-century decoration adorned with Antonio Gamberini (1782-88), stucco and frescoes by Luigi Flaminio Purchases Minozzi. In the sacristy is the Sorrows of the sculptor Angelo Piò G. (1730).




"The original temple was erected in 1516 by the Brotherhood of the Crucified, who worshiped an image painted on the walls of the city in the fifteenth century (now the main altar), it was rebuilt in 1762.
The Shrine of the Holy Cross is rich in eighteenth-century decoration adorned with Antonio Gamberini, stucco and frescoes by Luigi Flaminio Purchases Minozzi.
In the sacristy is the Sorrows of the sculptor Angelo Piò G. (1730).
The church was built on a bridge over the stream that passed Aposa on land owned by the monks of St. Dominic, as a result of a miraculous event, which took place at the beginning of the sixteenth century, sparked by a crucifix painted on the wall of the convent of the Dominicans. Even today, the crucifix is kept inside the church.
The construction of the original church began in 1516 and then the church was rebuilt in 1762 in Baroque style. From 1823 to the beginning of the twentieth century the church was officiated by the Friars Minor."

Translated from: (visit link)
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 01/01/1762

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
via Cestello, 25
Bologna,


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.