Depository - Maria Schutzkirche - Fischbachau, BY-DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member André de Montbard
N 47° 43.243 E 011° 56.967
32T E 721191 N 5289473
A baroque depository for the surrounding graveyard is build near the "Maria Schutzkirche" in Fischbachau.
Waymark Code: WM13BNY
Location: Bayern, Germany
Date Posted: 11/02/2020
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member ScroogieII
Views: 10

Fischbachau Monastery is a former Benedictine priory (secularized in 1803) of the Scheyern Abbey at that time. It is located in the Miesbach district in Bavaria (Archdiocese of Munich and Freising).

Around the year 1080, the landlady of the upper Leitzach valley, Countess Haziga, gave a small monastery, which was founded in honor of St. Margaret in Margaretenzell (today Bayerischzell!), To the Benedictines of the Hirsau monastery. Shortly thereafter, the then abbot Wilhelm of the Hirsau monastery sent twelve monks to Margaretenzell. The number of monks was symbolic of the twelve apostles. Due to the rough location in the upper Leitzach valley, the monks asked for the monastery to be relocated, which was granted by the Freising Bishop Meginward in 1085. After Bishop Meginward exchanged land with Countess Haziga, the monks were able to start building the monastery and the first monastery church in Fischbachau. This first church of the convent was consecrated around the year 1087 and still forms the core of the Maria-Schutz-Kirche (today cemetery church) in Fischbachau.

However, this church was soon replaced by a larger and more magnificent Romanesque monastery church as a convent church. The construction of the new monastery church began in 1096 and was consecrated to St. Martin in 1100. Basically, the so-called Martinsmünster remained outwardly almost unchanged for the next 500 years.

In 1104 there were again major changes in the Fischbachau monastery, as the abbey was relocated to the Petersberg near Dachau and a few years later in 1119 finally to the former Scheyern Castle. Despite the spatial separation, Fischbachau remained the priory of Scheyern Abbey for centuries and brought great spiritual, cultural and economic prosperity to the Leitzach Valley.

Source: Kathpedia

The church "Maria Schutzkirche" is originally build around 1100, about 1740 the surrounding is re-decorated in baroque style. So the this depositoire should be build around 1740.
Year: 1740

Cemetery Address: Not listed

Link to Church or Cemetery: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Include at least one photo of the lychgate or Depositoire taken by yourself. A short description of, or comment on, your visit is required, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lychgates and Depositories
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.